What´s it like playing at Universal and Disneyland? Australian guitar player Alex Hughes tells us about playing at theme parks as well as his other work as a comedian and actor
Alex Hughes is most known as professional guitar player, singer/songwriter, comedian and actor from Sydney Australia. Alex began playing guitar at age 7, eventually earning a degree from the Australian Institute of Music in 2007. In 2008 he relocated to the US to attend the G.I.T. program at Musicians Institute, and was the first ever recipient of the “Carvin Scholarship.” As a solo acoustic artist he released his debut EP in 2010 he released his follow up EP “The Valley of Sean Penn” Sessions in 2013. Both albums are available through Bandcamp.
Alex is a working freelance musician, currently playing for such Los Angeles based artists as Disney’s Five and Dime, Universal All Access Band, CopyCats, Porter Lori, Hughes and Havick, and many others. He is an official instructor for world renowned education institute “Key To Joy.”
During this chat with Alex, we discuss being a musician, comedian and actor and other topics like:
- From Australia, lived in LA for 5 years
- Started at 6-7, agent to pitch him, one show lead to another
- Was willing to swear and do things that other children wouldn´t do
- Acted in mostly Independence movies
- Melbourne Crew=Neighbours vs. Sydney Crew=Home and Away
- 9 month playing acoustic gigs in Australia, accidentally submitted to open mic comedy
- Got into comedy while waiting for a visa in Australia
- “My dreams are so vastly unrealistic….the reality has to be different”
- Dave Hughes vs. Steve Hughes and comedians like Jim Jefferies, Marc Maron
- Working at Disneyland (5 and Dime, 20´s jazz) and Universal (Blues Brothers stage)
- Musicians Institute, loved the community there
- Visa issues! Not a joke! So much money and paperwork!
His release party at The Witzend
Gig with Hughes & Havick on Hollywood Blvd, had a video of it consisting of them screaming at the sound guy (they didn´t hear anything), 20 min late, they said two more songs but then the guy goes on, said “this is it, go off!”
Staying in USA…visa issues!
Be pleasant…make people want to work with you!
Speak lower….his Australian friends pointed out “We speak much louder than Americans”
SONG OF THE SHOW
Valley of Sean Penn by Alex Hughes
Join his mailing list on Reverbnation: www.reverbnation.com/