Want to know what it takes to be a touring musician? Micaela Kingslight, singer/guitarist of Fly Paper tells us all about touring USA. You can pre-order their album on Indiegogo
Micaela Kingslight, Queen of Kalamazoo Blues, singer and guitarist of Fly Paper. Micaela has performed at hundreds of venues throughout the United States. In May of 2010, Micaela was awarded 1st place in the 2010 Indiegrrl International Songwriting Contest for her song “Aurora” and Headlined the 2010 Indiegrrl Music Conference in Knoxville TN. Micaela currently teaches guitar at Kalamazoo College, Crescendo Academy of Music, and the Kalamazoo Academy of Rock. Check out Fly Paper’s album on iTunes!
- From New Mexico but lives in Kalamazoo, Michigan
- Got bored with playing bass, plus guys said “girls couldn´t play guitar”
- Got electric guitar at 11, played Nirvana, Metallica,etc.
- Her dad makes guitars and her mom an Opera Singer. Met in Jethro Tull Cover band.
- Been playing since 2-3 years old, loves community
- Her dad would tune his guitar next to her cradle
- Started playing in clubs at 17
- Touring every year
- Micaela Kingslight band turned into Fly Paper, because of confusion at Elbow room in Chicago
- Not 12 bar blues, standard blues, genre alternative rock with blues influences
- Getting paid
- Music video “Sing Sing Sing Along”,
- Used Western University and facebook to get people to be in the video
- There was a partial tornado when they were suppose to film the video
- Letting nothing stop them, not even a tornado
- Self Education important
- Played for a Dog Sled Racing
- Calls places to tour, reverbnation, e-mail and sonicbids don´t work as well
- Seattle being a prime spot, Source, Triple Dor and Wild West Saloon
- Most big cities have one publication that lists venues.
- Opened for Styx in South Dakota, a line around the corner for autographs, got the front page day after
Money, now touring in a mini-van with a trailer attached to it. Plus keeping the gear up.
Thankfully now they have a booking agency
MUST READ BOOK
Jimi Hendrix, Joni mitchell and Fiona Apple
SONG OF THE WEEK
“Sing Sing Sing Along” by Fly Paper