Want to know what it takes to be on The Voice? Michelle Raitzin tells us all about the road to The Voice and the work behind it
MICHELLE RAITZIN, most known for being on Team Blake Season 4 of NBC The Voice, tells us about her journey from Long Island, NY to LA . As a kid she was hired to sing on many professional recordings including: 9 Kids Bop CDs, 2 Barbie Hits CDs, a Pottery Barn Christmas CD, and a theme song for an animated film, titled “The Littlest Light”, just to mention a few. She sang for numerous fundraisers, charity events, and made time to participate in many singing competitions around the country. Michelle brought home a prize of $10,000 to her high school by winning first place in NYC Radio Station WOR’s “Shining Star” competition in 2010. At the age of 17, Michelle released her self titled debut album. She has appeared on three consecutive Royal Hunt albums.
During this chat with Michelle, we discuss the music business, The Voice, and other topics like:
- Grew up in Long Island, New York
- Songwriting in Sweden, dealing with jetlag
- Her dad is on tour, manages a rock band
- Named after her great uncle, Misha Raitzin, Metropolitan Opera Singer
- Lived with her grandma for years, played every type of genre of music
- Age 10, sang “God Bless The USA” did her first performance and fell in love with performing
- Age 14, performed, sent out a demo CD
- Performed at a lot of sports venues and fundraising events
- Auditioned via Cattle Call, waited for hours in the cold
- First time the response was “we´ll think about it”, auditioned again
- They bring in 10 people, sing in a line, then say who stays or not
- Sang “Russian Roulette”, “Grenade” and “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”
- Got a call back in LA, response “we´d love to have you audition for next season”
- Got an e-mail a few months later, skipped first round to audition again and then made it
- All called to LA, put in a hotel, for a month prior to blinds doing vocal exercises, interview, people still getting cut
- Learned so much, really nice there
- Nobody on his team stayed that wasn´t country
- Team Blake, “Blake Shelton so funny and so nice”
- Made such good friendships
BEST GIG: The Voice
WORST GIG: Random place in Long Island, 5-6 people there. Good Rehearsal!
THINGS THAT WORK
Try everything to see who you are and what type of music you want to make
Katy Perry a great example of it
WISH I KNEW
How many people will tell you to be different things
“Stay True to Who You Are”
Missing family/friends in NY
“Rhymezone should be thanked at the Grammys” Michelle
Playing in Anything Goes on Broadway
Anna had the picture to the left on her desktop.
Dan proposed to her at Disneyland (pic right)
Dan did not know this. Look familiar?
Talk about The Secret!