Today vs. the 90´s Music Industry….Ritch Esra is the co-founder of Music Business Registry and MUBUTV. takes us back in time.
Beginning his career at A&M Records in radio promotion, Ritch Esra moved into A&R at Arista Records, where he signed the Thompson Twins and worked with Aretha Franklin, Dionne Warwick and Whitney Houston. Since forming the Music Business Registry in the early 90s, he publishes directories (A&R, Publishers, Attorneys, Producers/Engineers, and Film/TV Music) that are widely regarded as the best, most up-to-date and accurate in the record industry.
- Interested in music at the age of 15,
- After internship that he wanted to pursue it
- Internship at A&M Records
- UCLA notice on the job board for A&M Records, applied and got it
- Radio Promotion department 1980
- Arista Records promotion, part time job 1981-1982
- A&R West Coast for Arista Records 1982-1987
- Noticed directories were inaccurate, helped them for 8-9 months
- Frustration with inaccurate so decided to do it himself
- Learn about your industry!
- The Music Industry 90´s vs. Today
- Don´t need record labels to sign you, you can do it yourself!
- Hardest thing to do is getting people´s attention
- No more gatekeepers!!!
- Know about the music business…it affects you!
SUCCESSFUL ARTIST MUST HAVE
1) Live Act
2) Great Songs
3) Commit For Life
4) Strong Work Ethic
5) Sit Down and Have a Plan
Today it´s important that you develop a strong relationship with your audience!
Hits Daily Double
MUST READ BOOKS
Get a FREE audiobook download and 30 day free trial at www.audibletrial.com/edrivethru
BBC When Albums ruled the world
SONG OF THE SHOW
“Quit Playing Games” by Sara Broman