What does it take to tour USA? Icelandic singer Jonina Aradottir and Swedish singer Sara Broman tell us about touring the USA and the difference between the different countries.
Jonina Aradottir is an Icelandic singer / songwriter raised in the rural southeastern countryside. Jonina was Iceland´s Best Troubadour in 2003. She studied vocals at Songskoli Reykjavikur, and then headed abroad for studies in studio techniques and guitar at Den Rytmiske Hojskole in Denmark. She didn´t stop there, she graduated with an Associates of Arts in Vocal Performance with an emphasis as an Independence Artist at the Musicians Institute in Los Angeles where she produced her first EP, available on Itunes
Sara Broman has been a musician at multiple festivals at the spiritual course center Ängsbacka in Sweden, as a member of the house band and as a featured vocalist, singing everything from “Proud Mary” to sanskrit mantras. In July 2010 she was the opening act at the biggest alternative festival in northern Europe, performing in front of thousands of people. She has sung at and continues to sing at weddings, baptisms and other familial ceremonies in Scandinavia. In november of 2011, Sara was selected to be part of the “Artists for Peace”-choir, sharing the stage with music icons Stevie Wonder and Chaka Khan. Sara graduated from the Musicians Institute in Hollywood, California, in march 2012 with an Associates of Arts Degree in Vocal Performance, rated as one of the top performers in her graduating class. Her debut EP is in the final stages of production and will be released shortly.
During this chat with Jonina and Sara, we discuss touring and other topics like:
- Sweden and Iceland vs. USA
- Met in Musicians Institute in Hollywood
- Sara took a week off from school where she got a vocal coach and fell in love with singing
- Jonina lived in the countryside of Iceland and started playing after seeing a girl play there
- Jonina did a 3 week tour of California before
- Their buddy Yosemite Bear, most known for Double Rainbow video on youtube
- Reference when booking, it helps knowing other musicians that toured there, their recommendations
- Jonina´s friends googled music school after hearing her play
- Jonina played at Dan and Anna´s wedding
- Lots of fun stuff, including Spiderman shooting shit around!
“BREATHING affects everything” Jora
Jonina: Singing in public
Sara: going back to Sweden. Changing her lifestyle, eating/sleeping better!
Sara: Between a home concert in Köln Germany and at a retreat center in Sweden
Jonina: Coffeehouse at Atascadero, everyone was engaged
-Breathing, learn to breathe properly, especially as a singer
-Checked Yelp and Google for dinner and live music places!
-Asked at Musicians Institute and announcement on facebook
MUST READ BOOKS
Sara recommends books by Tracy Chevalier: http://www.amazon.com/Tracy-Chevalier/e/B000APQH6G
Get a FREE audiobook download and 30 day free trial at www.audibletrial.com/edrivethru
SONG OF THE SHOW
“Into the Water” by Jonina
Since Jonina talked about his stay with the double Rainbow Yosemite guy..here it is